Investigations is a complete mathematics program for grades K-5. Investigations is based on research about what we now know about how children learn mathematics and is carefully designed to invite all students into mathematics. Children use prior knowledge to make sense of and develop an understanding of fundamental mathematical ideas.
As a natural part of their everyday mathematics work, Investigations students:
Even if math was not your favorite subject, or even if you yourself are not good in math, there are things you can do to help a child. It is our hope that this information will assist in a better understanding of math for your student. If you do need more help please don't hesitate to contact your student's teacher.
- explore problems in depth.
- find more than one way of solving many of the problems they encounter.
- reason mathematically and develop problem-solving strategies.
- explain and examine their mathematical thinking and reasoning.
- represent their thinking using models, diagrams, and graphs.
- make connections between mathematical ideas.
- prove their ideas to others.
- develop fluency - efficiency, accuracy, and flexibility - with mathematics.
- develop proficiency with arithmetic.
- choose from a variety of tools and appropriate technology,
- work in a variety of groupings - whole class, individually, in pairs, and in small groups
Below is a link to The Investigations website